02 July 2010

Township Football

In Soweto, people do not have much. Many people are without jobs and therefore struggle with having enough to eat. And many even suffer without electricity and water. I have learned to thank God everyday for what He has given me. At the same time, I have realized that it can be taken away from me tomorrow. I need not find my value in or be so attached to my earthly possessions because I will leave them behind...

For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? Mark 8:36

Reminds me of Job, how God allowed everything to be taken from him but Job kept praising the Lord. The question we must ask ourselves is... would I choose to praise God even if He took everything away from me? I pray I would answer like Job...

The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. Job 1:21

Children in Soweto are thankful for what they do have and make the best of it. If you have never experienced having less then how can you truly appreciate having much?

When there is not enough money for food, how can a child enjoy having their very own ball? I have seen children making balls by filling up plastic bags with rubbish found on the ground.

How do children in Soweto play football? In this video, you will see how some children living in townships make the best of their situation. These children have found bottle caps to be football players, rocks for goals and a tiny ball.

No comments: