29 June 2010

Argentina/Mexico

In the spirit of World Cup, I feel the need to post about every game that I have been to. I have always loved soccer so the excitement in Africa right now is contagious! Originally I was just going to 3 games but I have just bought another ticket to a Quarter Final match. Can't wait!

Amber, Zach and I headed to Soccer City to watch Argentina vs. Mexico. We hopped on a bus with Kurt and one of his friends to take us to the stadium.


I love listening to other countries' national anthems and hearing the fans sing along. This time we were seated beside a bunch of Mexicans. Since studying Zulu I think I forgot most of my Spanish... Except for sometimes when a Spanish word will pop in my mind while I'm speaking Zulu. It seems my brain just tries to find any words other than English.


The final score was 3-0 Argentina. The referees have not been the best this World Cup. Argentina was definitely offsides on one goal... They put the replay on the big screen and the Mexican players saw it and ran to the referee to object. Because the referee has the final say, they usually don't have replays in the stadium so that fights don't break out... which is what happened after the first half.


This was one of the legitimate goals by Argentina.


A big part of the World Cup experience is the fanatic fans... I love watching people to see how they dress in support of their team. I love seeing South Africa fans even though they were knocked out early. And of course vuvuzelas.


Multiple times during the game balloons and paper rolls were thrown onto the field by crazy fans. Even the goalies had to clean up paper while the game was being played.


Soccer City is where the Final Game of the 2010 World Cup will be played on 11 July. Wish I could be there! Soccer City is beautiful with the outside of the stadium designed to look like a calabash, an African pot.



No comments: