30 July 2010

Back to School

Finally, school has started back after a month long holiday during the World Cup. I'm excited to get back to Girls Club!

There have been some big changes with the Soweto Team. We have had to say goodbye to the Siedschlag family and to Nick who were both serving alongside of us. Sad times. Also, Amber is no longer working in Soweto but is working with another team.

Jesus said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will ear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5

God has been teaching me a lot lately about relying on Him. Being overseas and working in Soweto has stretched me beyond measure. I have done things I never thought I could do and it is has only been through Christ's strength that it has been possible. I am a very shy person and tend to let others take the lead. But that is not possible anymore as I will be working by myself. Please pray for me to be bold. I'm trusting the Lord right now to provide me with what I need to do this task by myself. I am a weak vessel who is willing to be used by Him for His glory in Soweto!

Right now, I'm praying and trying to see what schools to work with. Please pray that God would open the doors to the schools He wants me to work in.

I went to Obed Messiane Primary School to find a teacher to speak with about coming back this term to have Girls Club. I have found out that one of the two teachers that we work with passed away during the holiday. The second teacher we work with had left early that day because she found out her brother had passed away. I have seen a lot of death being here and it never gets easier to handle. This school has been difficult because many times I have had to organize the girls myself. But the girls want me to be there... One day, a girl asked if I had something to teach them about God and told everyone to go to the classroom. They have many questions and are searching for answers.

While I couldn't speak to anyone about Girls Club while there I did get to hang out with some of Nick's soccer boys. Nick was working with Zach but decided to coach boys who were standing on the sidelines wishing they could play. Nick did such a great job pouring into them and teaching them about God.


I have been here for just over a year now... And one thing I love is that I can walk the streets and know people. Really makes me realize how important it is just to be in Soweto, spending time with people and building relationships in order to share the love of Christ.

This sweet girl used to attend church at Faith Baptist but has recently moved and is not able to come anymore. Always good to spend time with her. And the little boy is just plain cute.


Here in South Africa they have something called a gap year which means taking a year off after high school to work, travel or do missions before going to university. I had the opportunity to go to Thulani Secondary School with a gap year group as they shared with the high school students. I was excited as I got to see over 15 girls from Girls Club last year from all 4 of the schools we worked at. It was such a blessing to see their smiling faces!


Some of my girls asked me to come to Thulani to have Girls Club! I have been praying about what schools to go to and I may try to go speak with the principal to see if I can come to this school. I have already developed close relationships with these girls and feel it would be beneficial to continue getting to know them better.


Thembane who I meet with for discipleship came out to help at Thulani. She is so sweet and such a pleasure to be around. She was able to meet all of my girls from Girls Club. Afterwards, she told me that she could help me sometimes with Girls Club now that I am by myself. What an answer to prayer! I have been praying that Thembane and Sibongile would help me. I believe it is so important for the girls to have someone who has been in their shoes and can relate to their struggles. As much as I love these girls... I can only sympathize with them, love them and try to help them but I will never understand the life they have lived. But my prayer is that they would "grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ" (Ephesians 3:18).


Please pray for the following schools... Obed Messiane, Hector Pieterson, Lehae and Thulani. Pray that God would show me which 3 schools to work in.

No comments: