06 July 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

My Second Birthday in Africa!

What better way to celebrate my birthday then by going to Bible Study with some friends in Soweto?


Can I just say that skype is the best invention ever... I was able to see and speak with my Mom and Dawn (life long family friend). Then I was able to chat with my sister and see my niece Sofie. Check out the first time I saw Sofie, the day she was born. Can't believe Sofie is 6 months old today!


Last year was my first birthday in Africa after only 1 week of being here. It was hard. But this year I had the pleasure of spending it with some of my South African friends! Thembane (far left) and Sibongile (in front) are the two women that we have discipleship with. Thembane's sister (far right) is actually in our Girls Club. I just love these ladies!


This is Given, also known as Ndodana yami.. My son. He calls me Mom and calls Amber his Aunt. He is such a godly young man and we just love him.


Trent and Zach were in charge of the braai. They did a wonderful job as always cooking the chicken and borewors (traditional African sausage).


Amber made twice baked potatoes. Thembane made pap (traditional African mealie meal). Given made tomato and onion gravy. Team work!


After dinner, it was time to open presents. I was so surprised and honored to receive such thoughtful gifts. I'm so blessed to have such loving friends!

Just to name a few... Sibongile gave me a tea cup so that I could drink tea and think of her. She has really become one of my best friends here in SA.


And Nick brought me back a table cloth from Zimbabwe. He is headed back to the States after serving alongside us for 6 months. It will be sad to see him go.


Amber was so thoughtful and contacted my mom to find out what dessert to make for my birthday. I try not to eat desserts but when it comes to my mom's Brownie Truffle... I have no self control. This was the South African version as in Amber had to make substitutions for three of the main ingredients. But it tasted pretty close to the real thing. Koketso is Thembane's sweet daughter... I think she enjoyed it as well.


After dinner and dessert, Nick and I thought it would be awesome to play Spoons with everyone. It was amazing! You just have to watch this video to see how crazy it got.. as in rolling around on the floor and even jumping over couches... Memories for a lifetime!

And please take note of Koketso who cried every time we would reach for the spoons. She thought we were fighting and didn't like it. Too funny.


What better way to end the night then with a few matches of ping pong? Thanks to Trent who is letting us borrow the table.


Thank you to all my friends who made this such a special day.

1 comment:

ShellieG said...

Happy Birthday beautiful girl! Sure do miss having you here! Glad you are doing great thing and everyone spoiled you!