23 September 2009

Heritage Day Pt. 2

This week is full of many cultural experiences and we are loving it! We were invited to Hector Peterson Primary School for their celebration of heritage.

This is a sweet lady that we have built a friendship with since beginning our Girls Club two weeks ago. If you look closely on the tray, you will see that we partook in tea, ingwyna (fat cakes which are basically funnel cakes) and snoek (fish). This is considered a breakfast food. They told us that the snoek is "nice" but that you must wash your hands with soap and chew gum to get rid of the fishy smell. Fun times!


Children love getting their picture taken. When the camera comes out they all run towards you and say "shoot me." How can you resist these sweet faces?


These girls were a lot of fun. They kept on insisting that I dance but would laugh when I broke out some of my moves... not sure why? I attempted to do vuma which is a popular dance here and got a few laughs. So, I asked them to teach me and then taught me how to "cut the cake." Amber and I are going to work on a routine for the talent show we will have at our last Girls Club meeting. They're not ready for that!!


Africans can dance! Even the little kids can break it down...


2 comments:

Courtney said...

please, please, please make sure you video you and Amber dancing.

Michael Williams said...

that kid was sick! i also want to see a video of you and amber dancing.