04 September 2009

Spring is Here

1 September was the first day of Spring! The weather was beautiful... 26 C (77 F) with a slight breeze. I'm so thankful that it is warming up and we are leaving the winter months behind us.

Well, we learned something new about South African culture. We had Girls Club at Lehae Primary. The girls had a good time as we talked about Adam & Eve and how women are valuable to God as they are created in His image. We then had our topic time where we talked about hygiene and other girl stuff.  As it was time for us to go outside and play netball or soccer, some of the girls began to leave quickly. We asked why and they explained the significance of 1 Sept. They pointed to some guys with buckets standing outside the school fence who were waiting for them. To celebrate the 1st day of spring, children fill up buckets of water and dump it on each other. 

I wanted to be a part of this experience so I told the girls I would walk home with them so maybe the boys would be less likely to get them. Amber drove in the car beside us to help block but it didn't work. Some girls made it home dry but a few were less fortunate. I'm just excited that I got to be a part of the culture in this way which the girls loved. One boy teased with pretending to throw the bucket at me but thankfully he didn't follow through with it.

Keep in mind there is not much water available but these boys found a water pipe to fill up their buckets. The next day in Snake Park there was no water... I wonder if Spring Day played a part in that?

As we drove around, it brought joy to my heart to see children running around carefree and having a good time which is not always the case. These children face many hardships so to be able to see them smiling is a blessing!

I thought this was just for small kids but young adults joined in the festivities. We saw many students in their uniforms walking home from school chased down, cornered and soaking wet. 

No comments: