13 September 2009

2nd Saturday

On the 2nd Saturday of the month, we pick a block in Soweto and pass out Challenge newspapers. This newspaper has stories of people whose lives have been changed by Jesus. We have met many people who are now faithful members of Faith Baptist Church through passing out these newspapers.


This is Karabo... he is one of my best buds! He usually comes out to help us pass out papers. He does a great job and is so enthusiastic (don't let the serious face fool you). We challenged him to learn John 3:16 on Wednesday and he said it Saturday in exchange for a sweetie. Doesn't hurt to offer children an incentive, nay?


These boys were just hanging out reading the newspaper, which is primarily in English but has a section in Zulu and Afrikaans. Students begin learning English in primary school. We find that in a group of children, there is usually one spokesperson who will translate for the other children. One of the many reasons I want to learn Zulu is to be able to understand it when children gather around me speaking and laughing... while you have no idea what they are saying.


As we walk around, I practice my Zulu by greeting children and asking their names. I love it because immediately they smile so big and laugh. I always give them sharp which is the pushing of the thumbs together as a form of what's up or goodbye. These are just a few of the kids I met and played with.


We had the opportunity to walk around with Lihle and Sibongile. They helped us find the homes of girls from our Girls Club so we could invite them to church. It is so encouraging to see nationals excited about telling others about Jesus in their own community. I love them both dearly (oh and of course Amber)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach, I love seeing you with all those kids. I know you're loving it. I love you and I am very proud of you. Dad

Diane jensen said...

I can't wait to hear you speak Zulu. Love, Mom

Matt said...

sharp!