01 July 2009

I'm in Africa!

I thought I would give you a list of some fun things that have occurred thus far:

1.  During a 10 hour layover in Germany, I felt the need to brush my teeth so I used the faucet water.  A couple hours later I see a sign on the bathroom door instructing people not to drink the water because there is evidence of E. coli in the city.  Who would have thought you would have to worry about drinking the water in Germany?
2.  We went to a mall in Soweto... as we were leaving, a guard had us roll down the window and asked "are you okay?"  In reality, he was checking the ignition to make sure there were keys in it... you could say that there are quite a few cars stolen around here.
3.  Driving... Most cars are manual which I love since my first car was a stick but I have not driven one for a few years. I'm trying to get used to that as well as driving on the left side of the road. The hardest part is turning left or right and remembering which way to look for oncoming traffic. I have to keep telling myself when turning... short left, long right. 


This is a picture of my first time driving!
Check out our sweet ride

2 comments:

Michael Williams said...

sweet ride! i'm gonna need to see some more pictures though of other stuff. :-)

Bonnie G. said...

Nice car! I totally remember having the hardest time making turns. Only once did I almost actually turn right into the RIGHT lane - oops. My first car had no radio or AC, but a little later someone left and I got to upgrade to a little Carolina blue corolla... I loved that car! Keep updating this blog - I'm living vicariously though you ladies! :)