12 May 2010

A Piece of my Heart

My heart breaks for the people of Soweto, especially the children and youth that we work with. I prayed for a long time before moving to South Africa for God to give me a love for these people and He has. And let me tell you... it hurts! I leave Soweto with a heavy heart knowing that I want to say more... I want to do more... I want to be there more... I want to love more. I know that "we love because He first loved us." And my prayer is that the people of Soweto would know and accept God's love and His gift of salvation through Christ Jesus, our Lord.

There is no place I rather be right now then in Soweto. I long to hold every crying baby, hug every hurting child and tell every suffering person how much I love them and more importantly how much God loves them. As I stand and talk with people I learn of how they have lost loved ones, how they do not have enough to eat and how they are suffering. This is why my heart hurts.

But there is hope... hope in the only One who can save us!

Please pray with me that the people of Soweto would turn to the Lord. I can do nothing in my own strength... as I can not adopt every unwanted child, feed every hungry person or provide them with shelter... but I can pray for them. I can pray that they would accept Christ as their Lord. I can pray that their Heavenly Father would provide all their needs as He has promised to those who are His children.

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?"... your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:31-33

Some people live in shacks which have no electricity or running water. They must walk to where a water spout is in order to fill buckets for cooking, cleaning and bathing. Others have no shelter... we have heard of one man who is living in the cemetery.


Children in Soweto do not have much of a childhood. Children grow up quickly because they are forced to take care of their younger siblings because their parents are not around.


Many people in Soweto live in fear as there is much poverty and crime. It is very common for young girls and boys to be emotionally, physically and sexually abused.


It is very difficult to get work so you can find beggars at almost every robot (traffic light). Even young children are found begging instead of being in school.


Gogo's are forced to take care of their grandchildren because their own children have died as a result of HIV/AIDS.


As a result, there are many orphans...


I didn't intend to write this to upset anyone but it is something that has been on my heart. I hope this draws you to your knees to pray on behalf of the people of Soweto. We have a God who cares and loves all peoples and desires that everyone would be saved.

I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people... that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:1-4

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing your love for your people with us. And thanks for being there to share the Light of the World with them. Your pictures speak as loudly as your words. Praying for you and your people!