23 May 2010

Ngikhuluma isiZulu

I speak Zulu. One of my passions is to speak to people in their heart language.

"And when they heard that he was addressing them in the Hebrew language, they became even more quiet."
Acts 22:2

I found this verse while reading through Acts and it has left a huge impression on me. Paul spoke Aramaic to the Jews and Greek to the Roman officials. Continues to remind me of the importance to minister to people in their own language.

My desire is to be able to share the Gospel in Zulu. Please pray that I would be diligent in studying and bold in speaking.

I have already had a few slip ups which make for good stories... A child asked me in Zulu for 50 cents. I was trying to say 'give me' but by mistake I said 'take me.' So as the kid came running towards me... Given, our national friend, started laughing. As we walked away, he explained that I basically said take me, as in to be your wife. Brad commented by saying I led the kid on, the boy thought he was getting 50 cents and a wife but now he has nothing. I felt horrible but I know that you must try and sometimes fail in order to learn.

Many times I practice with my girls from Girls Club. Some laugh because they are shocked I can speak Zulu. Some laugh because I sound funny with my white American accent. And others correct me.


Monde and Jabulo play soccer with Zach. They love teaching me Zulu words. They will point at things and say it in Zulu and tell me to khuluma (speak).


I want to thank my Grandma Lolo, Aunt Barbara, Uncle Pete, cousins Sean, Theresa and Brett for supporting me financially. Without them I couldn't have taken a Zulu Beginner Course and now move on to take an Intermediate Course. Your impact goes beyond me and reaches the people who I work with in Soweto. So thank you!


This is Umfundisi Joe, the teacher. He is such a joy. He has taught us not only the Zulu language but culture as well. You can't study language without understanding cultural traditions and beliefs. I look forward to taking the Intermediate Course with him starting 9 June.


Meet my Zulu class. Brad and I have really enjoyed the course. Everyone is amazed that two Americans would want to learn Zulu! It has allowed us to share why we are here in South Africa and what we do in Soweto.


And here is a video of some of our girls singing. See if you can hear one of the three clicks of Zulu. Their voices touch my heart!

1 comment:

Beth said...

well done nthombi.