10 May 2011

SNAPshot a day: homelessness

Sipho is a son, nephew, uncle and the brother of Sibongile. Sipho is living on the streets. We drove around downtown trying to find him. When we did, it was really hard for Sibongile to see her own brother living this way. It was hard for me to see her crying and so upset. We took Sipho to KFC for a meal.


One disturbing thing I can't get off my mind was when a KFC employee came up to Sipho and asked what he was doing in there. Sibongile responded by saying it was her brother and he was with us. That just breaks my heart.

Another thing was the stares... I'm used to being stared at because I'm white but this was different. People were looking at Sipho and wondering what he was doing with us. It just reminds me of Jesus... he touched the diseased, let the children come to him, and ate with sinners.

I want to be less like the world who judges and more like Jesus who loves!


No comments: