23 August 2009

Overloaded


We had our 3rd week of Sunday School and had around 30 children attend. We taught about Jesus calling his disciples and how they were ordinary people. Jesus uses those who are willing to follow him, you don't have to be perfect or know it all. Praise God because I wouldn't be here otherwise!

We are currently training Lihle for 2 months and then she will take over teaching Sunday School.

After Sunday School, we become a taxi service... which I have been told I could be a taxi driver. This is not intended as a compliment but I take it as one. One thing you have to know about taxi drivers are that you stay out of their way. They pretty much do whatever they want... stopping without any warning, running red lights, cutting you off and anything else you can think of. Rules do not apply to them. I don't think I'm that bad... but I have learned to maneuver my way around Soweto pretty well.

Here is just a small example of a taxi driver breaking rules... there was an accident ahead but he decided he wouldn't wait and drove down the shoulder. Why not?

Today, in our 5 passenger car we were able to pack in 14! This included 11 children and 3 adults. We were joking with Lihle, the 3rd adult besides Amber and I that we would be considered "overloaded" by police if stopped. 

We dropped off 2 children, leaving 12 in the car... only 7 over. Well, as I continued driving I noticed a man in a blue uniform standing in the road. My heart dropped as I saw police cars on the side. As we pulled up, the police officer motioned us to pull over. We were all scared as I fumbled for my licenses (NC & International) and handed them over. The officer spoke to Lihle saying that we were overloaded and she explained that we were headed "just there." I added in that we were coming from Sunday School hoping that would help. He looked at my licenses, handed them back and we drove off. Lihle explained that many times officers are hungry or want something so they set up road blocks in order to get money from people. Praise the Lord for no fines or bribes!

Please pray for our safety as we drive the streets of Soweto. We will not pay bribes so pray that the officers do not insist on being paid off but allow us to go without any problems.

Here are a few kiddies that come on Sundays.

No comments: