10 August 2009

National Women's Day

On 9 Aug 1956, women participated in a national march petitioned against 'pass laws.' Pass laws were legislation that required African persons to carry a document on them to 'prove' that they were allowed to enter a 'white area' during the Apartheid regime. Over 20,000 women of all races and ages from every corner of South Africa marching in protest against the pass laws that proposed even further restrictions on the movements of women.

Faith Baptist Church in Snake Park celebrated with a women's conference, which included praise and worship, testimonies, prayer and lecturers (from the Bible, adult education & social development).


But these are a few pictures of how I spent my Women's Day with the children & youth:

Getting my hair did or as they say plaited. It hurt as you can imagine with 5 girls pulling at your hair!


"Can you borrow me your camera?" This is what happens when you give a child your camera. This car belonged to one of the speakers... you don't see many Mercedes around Soweto, so of course Karabo wanted to pose in front of it.


I was taught how to use a towel to create a sling for a precious baby. 
You swing the baby onto your back as you lean over forward, you then put the blanket around you and the baby. Tie it at the front at the top and then tuck it under the baby's bottom. The baby's legs are open with feet facing towards your waist and then tuck the towel to secure. This is how all the women carry their babies around. 
It is pretty amazing!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

OK, in order for me to get that whole sling thing I am going to need an instructional video.

Shannon said...

My favorite pictures so far! :)
I carried a 1 year old like that for 1/2 a day while I was in Botswana. I had to keep retying it... I think the towel we used would have certainly better suited an infant.
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

This picture goes great with the "Stories from my Trip to Africa" collection we discussed while I was there! Miss being there! Darin

Julie said...

that is the cutest picture ever!!!!!!!!!
Julie :o)