27 September 2010

Brett in Joburg

My cousin Brett is such a blessing to me! I'm so appreciative of the money and time he spent in coming to see me in South Africa!! I am so thankful for my friends and family who love and care for me. I couldn't be here without their support.

Brett enjoyed going to Soweto and getting to see first hand the ministry that is taking place there. He was able to meet many of my friends and just spend quality time with them. He came to Bible study one day and was able to take part in Bible storying.


Brett quickly became friends with Philani... they encouraged each other in the faith!


Zach and Philani have been able to start soccer back up at the schools even though the strike still lingers. Currently, the strike is postponed but teachers are willing to strike till the end of the year if demands are not met within 21 days. Please pray that the teachers and government would come to a compromise for the sake of the children who are the ones suffering.

Brett took part in soccer practice and enjoyed warming up with the children and getting to be a part of this ministry.


After awhile, Brett found some kids who were just standing around the field and asked if they wanted to play some basketball. Basketball is not a popular sport here in South Africa so they played with a soccer ball on a netball court (no backboard). But the kids loved playing with him which is what is most important!


Brett was able to experience another aspect of South African culture by going to a cricket match. I'm beginning to understand and appreciate this sport a little more even though soccer will always be my favorite!


I wanted Brett to be able to enjoy the African landscape so we decided to go on a canopy tour at the Magaliesberg Mountains. We enjoyed the thrill of ziplines in the beautiful African bush.


No comparison to the gorge swing at Victoria Falls though...


I also wanted Brett to experience the life of locals in Soweto which included using different modes of transportation. We took a taxi to downtown Johannesburg to get a feel for the city life.


Top of Africa. We went to the Carlton Centre to get a view of Jozi from 50 floors up. It is the tallest building in Africa but only about half the height of the Sears Tower in Chicago.


Brett made quick friends with Sibongile's son who enjoyed being thrown around and carried on his tall shoulders through downtown.


I had never ridden in a train before so why not add to my firsts in Africa! It was quite an experience... You don't find too many white people in taxis or trains so we were a spectacle to say the least. But I enjoy breaking stereotypes... I strive to put the Gospel on display to all peoples!!


I long for the day when we are in Heaven and people from every nation, from all tribes and languages will be standing before the throne and before the Lamb worshipping together!! Revelation 7:9

No comments: